The estate landscape 18/8/2010

The estate landscape 18/8/2010
A new take on the popular garden designer's theme of bringing the inside out! Freecycle anyone? You never know it COULD still work......

Wednesday 1 December 2010

Smoking for 7 Year Olds!

Following recent developments at Park Place and the Maple Lawns site anyone who reads this blog will see that there has been a noticeable abscence of blogging!  This is because the author was successful in securing a 'quick' transfer out of Park Place and into a property in a more peaceful location.........of course I feel sure that my recent 'community activity' had nothing to do with said transfer!

However, that is by the by.  Recently, however I revisited my old flat (to rescue a treasured lavender bush) and got chatting to one of the residents again and thought I would add this post.

It seems that a group of children have taken to collecting used cigarette butts from outside the blocks of flats and smoking them, apparently the largish group comprises children as young as seven.  I found this personally quite distressing as did the other lady and reported the matter to both police, Chiltern District Council, Paradigm and the government as I feel this particular community obviously needs some additional support. The police responded promptly although their powers are formal and limited, Paradigm deny any responsibility and there has yet to be any form of response or offer of help from any authority.

Considering the government's keen interest in promoting a health agenda for our young children and the recent focus on smoking, changing packaging designs etc I assumed agencies would be keen to 'help' a community group which I feel has been sadly neglected.  Many improvements are needed to the estate and suggestions have been passed to Paradigm, although now I no longer live there I am not clear as to what progress is being made!

I hope that 'things' are in the pipeline and the promised new bins etc will arrive and someone does something about the 'dangerous' play area which has now been pointed out directly to Paradigm.They should have some time to schedule in the resurfacing at least as it has been quite a while now.  I don't know whether anything is happening about the idea of the gardening club, or play area?

Anyway, I know that the particular lady I spoke to is not happy for her child to play out due to the current environment and she is not the only one!

No comments:

Post a Comment